legally-save-tax-week-4- Tidy up the house

End of Year adjustments to make saving by tax planning


If you own a rental property and haven’t already done so, arrange for the preparation of a Property Depreciation Report to allow you to claim the maximum amount of depreciation and building write-off deductions on your rental property.


Business owners who have borrowed funds from their company in previous years must ensure that the appropriate principal and interest repayments are made by 30 June 2018. Current year loans must be either paid back in full or have a loan agreement entered in before the due date of lodgement for the company return or risk having it counted as an unfranked dividend in the return of the individual.


If applicable, you need to prepare a detailed Stock Take and/or Work in Progress listing as at 30 June 2018. Review your listing and write-off any obsolete or worthless stock items.

Talk to us about your different options for valuing Stock, and how they affect your tax payable.


While if you’re doing your books on a cash basis, this might not help, for other you should look to review Debtors. Review your Trade Debtors listing and write off all Bad Debts BEFORE 30 June 2018. Prepare a management meeting document listing each Bad Debt, as evidence that these amounts were actually written off prior to year-end, and enter these into your accounting system before 30 June 2018.


“Small Business Concession” taxpayers can make prepayments (up to 12 months) on expenses (e.g. Loan Interest, Rent, subscriptions) BEFORE 30 June 2018 and obtain a full tax deduction in the 2018 financial year. With proposed changes to the tax rate of SBE companies, prepaying expenses could save more tax now than it would do next year.


Ensure that the Trustee Resolutions are prepared and signed BEFORE 30 June 2018 for all Discretionary (“Family”) Trusts. Please see us for more information about these resolutions.

If you use a Trust structure, one strategy is to allocate profits to a “Bucket Company” and cap your tax at 27.5% for the 2018 year. Note that this company must have business operations to qualify for the reduced company tax rate. Later as the company makes money and has paid tax, you can get the dividends out by paying Franked Dividends to the shareholder who could be a low-income earner and get all the franking credits back.

This article is provided as general information only and does not consider your client’s specific situation, objectives or needs. It does not represent accounting advice upon which any person may act. Implementation and suitability require a detailed analysis of a client’s specific circumstances. © Business Edge Accountants